Creative Writing using Vocabulary Words and Google Docs
Grade Level: Secondary Education (9-12)
1. Given a computer and access to Google Docs, students will be able to retrieve and add on to their peer's story with display of creative writing skills.
2. Given a computer, access to Google Docs and a vocabulary word, students will be able to retrieve and add on to their peer's story with the correct use of their assigned words.
CMP.1.6 Use language in creative and vivid ways
to establish a specific tone. [11.4.6/12.4.6]
CMP.1.10 Further develop unique writing style
and voice, improve sentence variety, and enhance
subtlety of meaning and tone in ways that are
consistent with the purpose, audience, and form
of writing. [11.4.12/12.4.12]
CMP.2.7 Use varied and extended vocabulary, appropriate for specific forms and topics. [11.5.6/12.5.6]
Access to Google Docs (
Classmates as available collaborators
One list of vocabulary words (teacher use only)
• Knowledge and understanding of the assigned vocabulary words;
1. Abstain - desist; go without; withdraw
2. Blighted - damaged; destroyed; ruined
3. Credulous - gullible; ready to believe anything
4. Haughtiness - arrogance; pride
5. Enshroud - cover
6. Lachrymose - tearful; sad
7. Obfuscate - deliberately make something difficult to understand
8. Tedium - boredom
9. Plethora - an excess
10. Repudiate - shun; eschew
11. Plumage - feathers of a bird
12. Bolster - support; prop up
13. Oblivious - totally unaware
14. Abhor - hate
15. Eccentric - irregular; peculiar; odd
• Knowledge and understanding of how to create a new document on Google Docs
• Knowledge and understanding of how to send and collaborate with classmates on Google Docs
• Knowledge and understanding of how to edit a peer's document on Google Docs
1. Assign each student to a computer.
2. Have students log in to their Google Docs account.
3. Assign each student to a partner; two people in a group.
4. Have each student verify that their partner is a 'collaborator' for their own Google Docs account.
5. Have students start a new document.
6. Explain to students that they will be given three minutes to begin a creative story using whichever topic they prefer.
7. Begin the timer and allow students to begin their writing.
8. After three minutes, instruct students to stop on the sentence they are on.
9. Students now access their peer's story.
10. Announce to students their first vocabulary word that they MUST use within the next three minutes to add on to their peer's story.
11. Begin timer.
12. End timer after three minutes.
13. Students then retrieve their OWN story back.
14. Assign the second vocabulary word and start the three minute timer.
15. Students then will add on to their unfinished story, which has since been revised by their peer, and use the second vocabulary word correctly.
16. Repeat steps 8-15 until all fifteen vocabulary words have been used.
17. Have students read the story they originally began out loud to the class.
Note: On the fifteenth vocab word, instruct students to end the story they are working on.
1. How did Google Docs aide in this lesson?
2. Do you feel Google Docs aided in student's technological experience for the future?
3. What would you change about this lesson to make it more effective or interesting?
Table of Contents