Edited by: Bridget Gehlhausen, Marlina Gomez, Mary Beth Hall, Andrew Hesters, Mallory Keeling, Hillary Lewandowski, Hannah Scudder, Kris Staats, Mckenna Stonebraker, Emily Vanlaningham,">Edited by: Bridget Gehlhausen, Marlina Gomez, Mary Beth Hall, Andrew Hesters, Mallory Keeling, Hillary Lewandowski, Hannah Scudder, Kris Staats, Mckenna Stonebraker, Emily Vanlaningham,
What does MS Office Live do?">What does MS Office Live do?
The following video shows some of the features of Microsoft Office Live.
Microsoft Office Live Workspace
•Microsoft Office Live is a service that can be used for small businesses, educators, students, organizations, or anyone who travels. MSO Live can be used to share documents, along with having shared storage space. Anyone is able to create their own Web site easily.
•There are multiple ways of saving and accessing information. An author could use the program to save documents online then access them anywhere in the world later. The author can adjust settings so that others can view the documents.
•The author or viewer could also save the document from the internet account to a PC.
•The author could also set the documents to be rewritten by others.
•MSO Live can be used by other Microsoft programs, such as: Excel, Word, Access, or Outlook.6
Some of the other features of Microsoft Office Live are:
- Online Storage
- Information Sharing
- Software Compatibility
- Resources and Support
- Add Facebook Widget
Microsoft Office Live Small Business">Microsoft Office Live Small Business
•Microsoft Office Live Small Business works much like MSOL Workspace.
•This product can help small businesses compete.
•MSO Live helps small businesses by offering a free solution for creating, maintaining, and promoting a website.
•Businesses can also manage their business online, and they can keep track of sales online.
•"Microsoft Office Live has established a great track record of providing small businesses with the same tools available to larger businesses," said Michael Schultz, U.S. business and marketing lead for Office Live at Microsoft. "We can add wings to any business by helping even the smallest one establish a professional Web presence in just minutes. It's just like private jet travel with the Marquis Jet Card program: a better way for small-business owners to promote and manage their business - wherever their business takes them." 7
Microsoft Office 365"> Microsoft Office 365
This was designed for small to midsized business owners who don't have any IT staff. It was created to help organize email, online office applications, and provide online customer support.
Microsoft Office Live Meeting">Microsoft Office Live Meeting
Microsoft Office Live Meeting is used to help manage tasks from from scheduling meetings to changing your password or reviewing your records.
Microsoft Office Live Competitors">Microsoft Office Live Competitors
Table Of Contents
I. History">I. History
How MS Office Live Works">How MS Office Live Works
- Each account is allowed up to 500 MB of document space. This allows for around 1,000 average sized Office documents.
- Users save any type of Microsoft document online and access it later on any computer with internet access.
- Users can also share documents with other viewers as read only documents or documents to edit.1
Microsoft Office Live is a service that can be used for small businesses, educators, students, organizations, or anyone who travels. MSO Live can be used to to create Web sites, share documents and have a shared storage area. There are multiple ways of saving and accessing information. An author could use the program to save documents online then access them anywhere in the world later. The author can adjust settings so that others can view the documents. The author could also set the documents to be rewritten by others. MSO Live can be used by other Microsoft programs, such as: Excel, Word, Access, or Outlook.2
This promotion targets small-business owners who aim to soar to new heights. No-matter what type of business, in order to compete with the big players, one has to look and think big. The purpose of Microsoft Office Live is to help small businesses by offering them easy and affordable solutions for creating, maintaining and promoting a Web site, as well as managing their businesses online.
According to the Small Business Administration, there are more than 25.8 million small businesses in the U.S. today, and another 600,000 open every year. While advances in technology have helped to connect these businesses with their national and international clients, business travel for most small businesses is often challenging.
"Microsoft Office Live has established a great track record of providing small businesses with the same tools available to larger businesses," said Michael Schultz, U.S. business and marketing lead for Office Live at Microsoft. "We can add wings to any business by helping even the smallest one establish a professional Web presence in just minutes. It's just like private jet travel with the Marquis Jet Card program: a better way for small business owners to promote and manage their business - wherever their business takes them."
- The following is a link to a demo on Microsoft Office Live
II. How MS Office Live Relates To Other Applications">II. How MS Office Live Relates To Other Applications
Different uses with other applications">Different uses with other applications
•Microsoft Office Live can be used with many different applications including the following: 10
•More specifically, Microsoft Office Live Small Business has some extra applications, including the following: 11
Web Site and Security Framework
Open XML file formats
Business Data Catalog (BDC)
II.2 Unique Uses">II.2 Unique Uses
Microsoft Office Live Workspace
Allows access to files from anywhere around the world
Works with other Microsoft Office programs like: Word, Excel, and Power Point
Easily work on group projects or presentations^8^
•Access work documents at home, a library, or anywhere with internet
•Share documents with employees to prepare for a presentation
•Share information for a meeting and to conclude topics discussed
•Work in groups on assignments and projects and be able to keep a due date schedule that everyone has access to
•All school documents would be saved in the same place
•Communicate with other students involved in the same clubs or sports
•Plan parties or events
•Track your travel information
Microsoft Office Live Small Businesses
•Set of Internet-based tools that make putting your business online as easy as ever! You also are given everything that you need to accomplish any task in the process.
•Makes creating your own Web site extremely easy
•Enjoy the benefits of efficiently marketing to your customers
•Taking your business online with a FREE Web site and e-mail, plus low-cost e-commerce is so easy, and did we mention FREE!
•Catch the eye of your customers
•Promoting your business and generating sales with easy-to-use, affordable e-mail marketing will help you sleep easier at night
•Search for top of the line marketing products
•Manage your business with ease
•Manage sales opportunities, projects, documents, and more with FREE online business applications only available with this product^9^
III. Real World Applications">III. Real World Applications
Educational Lesson Plans">Educational Lesson Plans
Animal Alphabet^[#14]^">Animal Alphabet14
Overview: Kindergartners will make an alphabet book. The students will use the Internet and a field trip to the zoo to learn about animals. Then they brainstorm about animals that start with different letters of the alphabet and create a class alphabet book and presentation showcasing the animals they studied.
Objectives: After a field trip to the zoo and researching using the internet, students will make an alphabet book of different animals whose names start with different letters of the alphabet. To show understanding of the alphabet, students given 26 pictures of various animals will have to correctly write the first letter of the animal's name with 85% accuracy.
Overview: Students will learn the difference between producer and consumer and what both mean.
Objective: Given a computer and internet, students will research their favorite product and make a chart with 100% accuracy.
Rhyme Time^[#15]^">Rhyme Time15
Overview: Students will make a list of rhyming words and then write their own short rhymes after listening to The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss.
Objectives: After discussing words that rhyme and listening to The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss, students will practice writing their own short rhymes.
To show understanding, students, given a list of words to choose from and two rhymes with missing words, will fill in the blanks using the correct words that rhyme with 85% accuracy.
Overview: Students will create a timeline of important events in the history of their school, community, and their lives.
Objectives: After discussing how timelines are used to organize information and important events, the students will make a timeline consisting of five important events from their lives.
To show understanding, the students, given a list of five historical events, will put them in chronological order on a timeline with 100% accuracy.
Create a Holiday">Create a Holiday
Overview: Second graders will create their own holiday based of their research on elements of preexisting holidays.
Objectives: Students will effectively use the internet for research. They will also learn to organize their thoughts in a logical way on Microsoft Word and share them via Microsoft Office Live.
Making Bridges">Making Bridges
Overview:Students will design and create bridges out of balsa wood to later be tested on durability and ability to withstand a weight load.
Objective:Students will be expected to be able to design and create a bridge with a capability of holding up to 9 ounces of weight. Because they are made of balsa wood the minimum weight is not too much.
Pre Calculus Class">Pre Calculus Class
Overview: Students will use MsOffice Live to enhance the learning experence.
Objective: Students will go through the course and learn basic pre-calculus methods and skills. They will be evaluated with tests and quizzes to establish a 70% or better in the class.
Overview: Students will use MS Office Live to share and create documents with their group to present a lesson to the class.
Objective: Students will be able to present their information on their assigned Australian state, such as climate, history, and culture, to the class with the assistance of MS Office Live.
Shakespearean Poetry">Shakespearean Poetry
Overview: Students will use MS Office Live to share and create papers to be shared with classmates for evaluation.
Objective: Students will be gaining a further knowledge of Shakespeare while also learning different uses of technology.
Post Secondary">Post Secondary
Overview: The students will research and create a newsletter that focuses on Engineering in their world and learn to work with others.
Objective: Given computers and the internet, students will create a newsletter on Engineering with 100% accuracy.
Overview: The students will use MSOffice Live to work together on equations.
Objective: Given a computer and the internet, students will use MSOffice to work out equations with 100% accuracy.
Microsoft Office Live Small Businesses">Microsoft Office Live Small Businesses
A small business could utilize Microsoft Office Live Small Business to attract customers, have a communication link, and manage all sorts of aspects of the business from sales reports, to documents, to presentation projects.
- The first step that a business needs to do is sign up and establish an account on MSO. Here they can get the wheels in motion by creating a website and advertisements to promote their business. With this website they can easily promote products or services being offered for sale. This is easily done because the feature of MSO Live gives them a free website. This is very beneficial because the company gets to put their face out there and it does not cost them any extra.
- Once a business has a website promoting itself, they can move on to attracting customers via the web and other methods of advertisements. However, using MSO Live they would be utilizing the web based aspects of researching customers. Here a business can use two basic methods of advertising, e-mail marketing, and key word advertising. For the e-mail marketing all the business would have to do is enter into the Contact Manager the addresses of current customers and potential customers. They then can attach the e mail and the advertisement will be set out notifying the recipients of new recent updates. The e-mail marketing aspect will allow a business to:
- Send professional newsletters, promotional offers, product announcements, and any kind of updates for your company with just a few clicks
- Easily create mailing lists and manage customers' contact preferences and update them with Contact Manager
- Track the success of your campaigns with reports that are very detailed
- Monthly pricing and fees that are easily fitted into your budget.
- The other aspect that can be utilized is keyword advertising. Search marketing is a cost-effective and targeted way to promote your business online because it puts you in front of your most likely customers---those already searching for what you sell. With ad Manager, you can reach customers on popular sites like MSN, Live Search, and Ask from one, easy-to-manage account. The benefits of keyword advertising are:
- Target people already searching for the products and services you sell
- Advertise in multiple search engines, including MSN, Live Search, Ask, and many more
- Display ads nationwide or go local by targeting specific geographic areas
- Control costs with monthly budgeting and pay-per-click pricing
Once done with advertising and getting the company online to the world, MSO can help focus efforts on the internal functions of the business itself. Any business person knows that it is not an easy task managing and tracking your business when you are trying to run your business. However these tasks can be made easier using online applications to help organize all of your important information. So whether you're in the office or on the road you can stay on top of your business.
- Contact Manager
- Document Manager
- Project Manager
- Contact Manager allows you to:*- Provide your company with a single view of your customers and prospects
- Track every contact with each customer to maintain a running dialogue throughout the customer relationship
- Check the status of your accounts and sales opportunities from any location with a Web browser
- Send automatic e-mail messages based on specific trigger events (Example: Automatically send e-mail to the salesperson assigned to a new sales lead)
- Document Manager allows a busy business person to:*- Store important company documents in one central location
- Easily access your documents on the Web
- Streamline the editing process by providing employees with an online space to review and collaborate on documents
- Workspaces allow you to:*- Easily enable groups to review and edit documents by posting to a central online location accessible only to people you've granted access
- Allow employees, customers, and business partners to "pull" information and large files as needed rather than "push" information to them over e-mail
- Streamline the editing process by providing employees with an online space to review and collaborate on documents
- Use pre-designed templates to create workspaces specifically for customers, workgroups, meetings, and wikis
- Project Manager allows you to:*- Plan, track, and update a project's progress from one central, shared location
- Assign tasks to others and track progress towards milestones
- Easily sort and filter projects by a number of fields, including completed and active tasks, due date, assigned to, and more
- Document and monitor issues that arise during a project
IV. Demonstration of Educational Values">IV. Demonstration of Educational Values
- This aspect of the Microsoft Office Live is a way for teachers to put lesson plans and class activities online for others.
- Not only is it a place where teachers can post and purchase classroom material but Microsoft Office Live also has a feature that allows teachers to post questions or problems they have, and other teachers can communicate with them to help solve them. They branch out into many different areas, including geography, math, history, science and technology, language arts, and social studies. This seems to be a very useful aspect of this software for teachers to use.13
How can both teachers and students use this?">How can both teachers and students use this?
- There are many interesting things on the Microsoft Office education links. It is very helpful that there is a program for students who are struggling with math that can help them see the steps in solving equations.
- The One Note Program is a great way for teachers to share teaching materials with each other, and give out lessons to their students.
Usefulness in an Elementary Classroom
- Not only could this be useful for teachers or administrators to share information with each other, like lesson plans, schedules, etc; it could also be helpful for teachers to keep easily in contact with the parents of their students. They could post information about important upcoming event happening in the classroom, share their child's grades, etc.
- If teachers at an elementary school all used MSO Live, they could share lesson plans through word documents/PPT, upcoming events through the calendar, and make task lists.
Excel can be used as a grade book. MSO Live would allow them to enter grades from home, school, a library, or any other place with internet access.
- For the older grades that are still elementary, the students could manage group projects using the three Microsoft Office products that are used within MSO Live. MSO Live makes it easier to keep track of all the information different group members have.
- It can also be used by students as a way to receive feedback/peer reviews.
Microsoft Office Live could be used to help coordinate clubs or teams.
- Coaches could post practice and game schedules, or even give feedback on recent practices or games.
- Club advisers could post upcoming events, and what people need to be doing to prepare for the event.
- Coaches/Advisors could post what people need to bring to the actual event.
- They could also post a schedule of meeting times and places, as well as notes from those meetings or games for people that were unable to attend.
There are many group oriented uses.
- Study group workspaces can be formed.
- Notes, papers, outlines, etc can be shared. This would allow for discussion of the lesson through comments the students could post.
- Once again, a main function of MSO Live is accessibility from anywhere with internet.
- If a student has to be absent from school they could post their assignments on the class workspace.
- Students can use it to organize notes, and then share them with others from their class.
- Schedules and events can be posted under 'workspaces' specifically for a class. It is easy to make a 'workspace', and then choose who can edit or just view the information. Depending on the type of 'workspace', MSO Live automatically sets up documents and such that will most likely be used.
- On each account the creator can set up a "Project Workspace," and these are some of the things automatically created:
Project Post-mortem Presentation
Project Overview Presentation
Microsoft Office Live benefits for college students: "> Microsoft Office Live benefits for college students:
- College uses would be similar to business industry and secondary education uses: Group projects/presentation, study groups, and events.
- There are also workspaces set up for essays, job searches, sports teams, and travel.
- Using the various workspaces as needed, students can keep organized and be able to access their information just about anywhere since most campuses have wireless internet and/or many computer labs.
- Most of the workspaces include contact lists, calendars, and notes sections. Using these, people can communicate with people in their group or class, keep track of important dates, leave notes/comments, and recieve feedback.
- Also they get to choose who is allowed to edit or just view their work.
- With the Windows Live Hotmail feature, students can have email that is efficient. 20
- Along with this you can access the calendar and task lists, where you can schedule appointments with friends, study groups, teams, or clubs and organizations in a fast and simple way. A request is sent to them so that they can confirm or reschedule the time.
- With the calendar feature, you can write in your plans and send them out to anyone else who has WLH or publish it online. This way anyone can see where the next group meeting will be held and what time to show up! You do not need to type emails to everyone and risk someone not getting the information. In this way, anyone who needs the info can look it up on their own, fast and easy.
- Microsoft Office Live could also be used for sports teams or clubs.
- Club presidents could post information on upcoming events, post a calender with all the meetings and events, and could post notes on recent meetings, so people that were unable to attend can catch up.
- Coaches could keep players updated on upcoming practices and games. They could also give feedback on past games and practices.
V. How MS Office Live Is Used Internationally">V. How MS Office Live Is Used Internationally
How is Microsoft Office Live useful internationally?">How is Microsoft Office Live useful internationally?
- Small Business could be used by businesses that need international communication.
- Business administrators could communicate with business owners in other countries.
- Businesses could also save presentation materials online for international meetings. There would be fewer losses of information and materials during travel time.
- Display company ads world-wide by targeting certain areas.
- Track success of international profit.
- Communicate details of international conferences.
- Microsoft will be adding new languages by the end of 2008.
- International educational uses are similar to the ones in the US.
- Students can still save and share their documents using MSOL.
- MSOL can be used for group projects and peer reviews as well.
- MSOL facilitates international exchange.
- International distance education can utilize MSOL by having students in different countries share and save their work together.
- This creates an exchange of ideas cross culturally.
- It allows students and teachers to experience people from other countries.
Workspace is available in 29 different countries.23
Small Business is available in Canada, France, Germany, India, Japan, Mexico, UK, and US.
Microsoft Office Live Small Business is offered in English, French, German, and Japanese.24
VI. References">VI. References
 Microsoft Office. (2008). Microsoft Developer Network. Retrieved November 7, 2008, from http://blogs.msdn.com/.../OfficeLiveLogo_3.png
 AJAX Magazine. (2006, February 17). Microsoft Office Live Services Beta Launched, What's This ?? Retrieved November 7, 2008,
 Microsoft Office Live. (2008). Microsoft Office Online. Retrieved November 7, 2008, from http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/office_live/FX101754491033.aspx?pid=CL101750181033&ofcresset=1
 Frequently Asked Questions. (2008). Microsoft Office Live Workspace. Retrieved November 7, 2008, from http://workspace.officelive.com/FAQ
 Wiley, J. (2007, July). Microsoft Office Live for Dummies. In Research and Markets. Retrieved November 7, 2008, from http://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/c71653
 Business Wire. (2007, February 21). Marquis Jet Joins with Microsoft Office Live to Take Small-Business Customers to New Heights with "High Level" Sweepstakes. In BNET Business Network. Retrieved November 7, 2008, from http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2007_Feb_21/ai_n27155061
 Microsoft Office Live Workspace-Save your documents to the web. (2008). Microsoft Office Live Workspace. Retrieved November 7, 2008, from http://workspace.officelive.com/
 Microsoft Office Live Small Business. (2008). Microsoft Office Live Small Business Center. Retrieved November 7, 2008, from
 Microsoft Office. (2008). Microsoft Office Online. Retrieved November 7, 2008, from http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/FX102855291033.aspx
 Microsoft Office. (2008). Microsoft Developer Network. Retrieved November 7, 2008, from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa905528.aspx
 Harry Cutting Photography. (2008). Education, Classroom, Teaching, Studying Photos, Pictures,Images. Retrieved November 7, 2008,
 Microsoft Office. (2008). Microsoft Education. Retrieved November 7, 2008, from http://www.microsoft.com/Education/Default.mspx
 Microsoft Office. (2004, April 6). Animal Alphabet. In Microsoft Education Virtual Tour. Retrieved November 9, 2008, from http://www.microsoft.com/education/vctanimalalphabet.mspx\\\
 Indiana's Academic Standards & Resources. (2003, February). Write a Rhyme This Time. Retrieved November 9, 2008, from http://www.indianastandards.org/files/eng/ela_1_5_3.pdf
 Indiana's Academic Standards & Resources. (2003, February). My Life in Pictures. Retrieved November 9, 2008, from http://www.indianastandards.org/files/soc/ss_2_1_5.pdf
 Indiana's Academic Standards & Resources. (2003, February). Symbols of Liberty. Retrieved November 9, 2008, from http://www.indianastandards.org/files/soc/ss_3_2_2.pdf
 Indiana's Academic Standards & Resources. (2003, February). The Good, The Bad, The Recyclable. Retrieved November 9, 2008, from http://www.indianastandards.org/files/sci/sci_4_1_9.pdf
 Indiana's Academic Standards & Resources. (2003, February). Technology Changes Everything. Retrieved November 9, 2008, from http://www.indianastandards.org/files/sci/sci_5_1_5.pdf
 Microsoft Office. (2008). Microsoft Student Experience. Retrieved November 12, 2008, from http://www.microsoft.com/student/en-US/tour/digitallife/hotmail.aspx
 Microsoft Office. (2008). Frequently Asked Questions. In Microsoft Office Live Small Business. Retrieved November 7, 2008, from [http://smallbusiness.officelive.com/ResourceCenter/FAQ
 Microsoft Office. (2008). Microsoft Office Live Small Business. Retrieved November 7, 2008, from http://smallbusiness.officelive.com/
 Microsoft Office Live Worldwide. (2008). Microsoft Office Live. Retrieved November 18, 2008, from http://www.officelive.com/Worldwide
 Microsoft Office Live Small Business. (2008). Microsoft Office LIve Small Business. Retrieved November 18, 2008, from http://smallbusiness.officelive.com/Worldwide
 Microsoft Office. (2008). Microsoft Office Live Workspace. Retrieved November 7, 2008, from http://workspace.officelive.com/LearnMore