Plancast (Click link to return to main WIKI page)
*This page provides a general outline to assist in the organization of research topics related to your assigned Web 2.0 Application.
Web 2.0 Formatting Examples:
-Questions to consider: How was the application developed? How does the application work? Are there any ways to use this application alongside others?
Peggy- PlanCast has a connection with Facebook and Twitter that can allow your friends and followers to view your plans if you choose.
Peggy- This application allows you to share upcoming plans with friends and view others plans.
Peggy- Described by its founder's as "Four Square for the future."
Peggy- Plancast has an application for iPhone.
Erica- Users can see what their friends are planning in the upcoming weeks, where they will be, and can opt to join in the plan without a formal RSVP.
Erica- Plancast was without a logo when they had the site up and running.
Erica- Mark Hedrickson is 24 years old. He grew up in Menlo Park, California, down the street from Stanford, raised by a high-tech marketer Dad and a Mom in banking. Then he went to college and studied Nietzsche. He has now set out to build The Future – specifically your future, your intentions, your plans as a platform for analysis and software development
Desirae- Mark Hendrickson left his job at Tech Crunch in order to form his company Wordly Development, and witb the help of co-founder Jay Marcyes created Plan Cast.
Desirae- Directional symbols, clouds, and robots were considerations before they chose the penguin for the official logo.
Desirae- When you post an event, you can "tag" users into your event.
Hilde- Plancast is the new way to share your events with others, without worrying about RSVP.
Nick- "Plancast is a service for sharing your upcoming plans with friends. It's a social calendar of sorts. Just submit the things you're thinking about doing in the future, and your friends will be able to hear about them - and maybe join you, too!"
Nick- The creator has a blog at http://ursusrex.com/. Lots of info is on it such as:
"What does Plancast do, you ask? It helps you share your upcoming plans with friends and learn about what others will be doing in the future. Imagine how awesome it would be if we all had a better idea of what everyone was up to in the next few hours, days, weeks, or months. Thinking about grabbing drinks with friends tonight? Going to a concert tomorrow? Heading to a conference next week? Taking a trip next month? Great, it takes just seconds to share each of these plans. Your plans will reach not only your subscribers on Plancast, but your friends on Twitter and Facebook as well, if you so desire."
"It’s been an amazingly fruitful journey getting to this point, and things are especially exciting now that the site is finally live and in such good shape. I launched an “alpha” version at the beginning of September, but since it was so rudimentary, I only sent it to a handful of people for testing. With this more functional beta version (released just this past weekend), I’m encouraging everyone to check it out and invite some friends along. We’re already seeing a broad range of people take a liking to it."
It appears as if it's still in a beta with the alpha ending so quickly I'm not sure why it's still in beta testing. However, an iPhone app is created and an android app is in the process of being created.
II. How Plancast relates to others
-Questions to consider: How does this application compare to the competitors? What are some unique uses of this specific application?
Hilde- So far Plancast is connected with Twitter and Facebook. Twitter has a better connection because it is less passive and more active than Facebook.
Hilde- Plancast is being compared to the Facebook events application. The CEO, Hendrickson, said that so far they are focusing more on the person and service for self expression.
Hilde- Plancast CEO, Hendrickson, does say at the end of his interview that he does not consider anyone a direct competitor.
Peggy- Mac Users can easily open iCal to view their upcoming events by using an icon on the upper right.
III. Real World Application
-This section will include 3 Lesson Plans for each Elementary, Secondary, and Post Secondary levels. One out of the three needs to be STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math) related.
-An additional section under this heading will provide information about how this application can be used in a Business/Industry Setting.
<INSERT RESEARCH POSTS>
IV. Demonstration of Educational Value
<INSERT RESEARCH POSTS>
V. How Plancast is used Internationally?
-Provide examples and/or information about how this application can be used in countries outside of the United States.
Erica- "International Suit Up Day 2010" Example of an International event
Possible Useful References:
9. Peggy- http://techcrunch.com/2009/11/30/plancast/ -Article informs about founder, Mark Hendrickson's development of Plancast.
10. Peggy- http://www.crunchbase.com/product/plancast -Dec. 1, 2009 info about Plancast
11. Peggy- http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/plancast_iphone_app_is_live_it_is_good.php -relating to Plancast iPhone Ap
12. Peggy- http://thenextweb.com/location/2010/03/20/plancast-ceo-talks-events-location-revenue-part-2-interview/ -interview with Plancast's CEO, Mark Hendrickson
13. Peggy- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PHos7kqXHE -Video interview with CEO, Hendrickson I
15. Peggy- \-Video interview with CEO, Hendrickson II" class="external-link" rel="nofollow"linktype="raw" wikidestination="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73jo8cf2MUI-Video interview with CEO, Hendrickson II" originalalias="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73jo8cf2MUI-Video interview with CEO, Hendrickson II" >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73jo8cf2MUI-Video interview with CEO, Hendrickson II (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73jo8cf2MUI
16. Peggy- http://ursusrex.com/2009/11/15/plancast-in-public-beta/ -Release by Mark Hendrickson
17. Peggy- http://www.bothsidesofthetable.com/2010/03/08/social-discovery-what-i-love-about-plancast/ -A user's blog
18. Peggy- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz8vlm8eOD8 -YouTube User Video I
1. Erica- http://creativebits.org/plancast_penguin_development_process - Logo Designer
5. Desirae- http://techcrunch.com/2009/11/30/plancast/ Article about founder
6. Desirae- http://blog.iso50.com/2010/03/10/plancast-penguin-development-process/ About the Logo
7. Desirae- http://techcrunch.com/2010/01/12/plancast-facebook-events/ Tagging users
8. Nick- http://ursusrex.com/ Mark Hendrickson's blog