Features of Audacity:
This website can record "live audio through microphone or mixer, or digitize recordings from cassette tapes, vinyl records, or minidiscs" (Audacity homepage)
- Record from microphone, line input, or other sources.
- Dub over existing tracks to create multi-track recordings.
- Record up to 16 channels at once (requires multi-channel hardware).
- Level meters can monitor volume levels before, during, and after recording.
Importing and Exporting:
This website can "import sound files, edit them, and combine them with other files or new recordings." (Audacity homepage)
- Easy editing with Cut, Copy, Paste, and Delete, use unlimited Undo (and Redo) to go back any number of steps, very fast editing of large files, edit and mix an unlimited number of tracks, use the Drawing tool to alter individual sample points, and fade the volume up or down smoothly with the Envelope tool.
- Change the pitch without altering the tempo, or vice-versa.
- Remove static, hiss, hum, or other constant background noises.
- Alter frequencies with Equalization, FFT Filter, and Bass Boost effects.
- Adjust volumes with Compressor, Amplify, and Normalize effects.
- Other built-in effects include:
- Record and edit 16-bit, 24-bit, and 32-bit (floating point) samples.
- Record at up to 96 kHz.
- Sample rates and formats are converted using high-quality resampling and dithering.
- Mix tracks with different sample rates or formats, and Audacity will convert them automatically in realtime.