How Does One Use Google Docs?
Why Google Docs?
Users have a chance to save, share and edit documents online by using Google Docs. Google Docs gives educators advantages in collaborating with peers, the ability to save important documents online, and to access files universally.
If you are not connected to the internet, you cannot use Google Docs. Also, to use it, you should have a browser, like Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer. Google Docs consists of programs and tools that are all free web-based; word processing, spreadsheet and presentations. The biggest advantage of Google Docs is users can create, share and edit programs online in real time. Users can send documents via email and edit through web interface. Another advantage, Google Docs uses common file extensions such as '.doc' and '.xls' .
Let's start to use Google Docs
- Enter "www.docs.google.com" in a web browser.
- If you already have a Google account, you can login immediately.
- If you do not have a Google account, you can create a new Google account simply by clicking on 'Create a new Google Account.'
Creating a new document
- Just click on the New Document tab.
- Just click on File menu, then click Save item or you can use the " CTRL + S " key combination.
- From the File menu, choose to Rename item.
- Enter new name for the document and click OK.
- There are all sorts of formatting tools located within the Edit tab.
• Google docs uses tags to describe a file. You can use more than one tag to describe a file. Tags are at the right side of the File Name.
- Click the Check Box next to the file which you want to tag.
- From the Tag menu, you click a New Tag or Existing Tag. Choosing Multiple Tags would make for easy organization amongst your files.
Collaborating and sharing a document
Sharing documents with people who have a Google account
- Open document which you want to share.
- Click Share and you will face a Sharing Dialog Box. You can then type peoples' addresses whom you wish to share with or you also can invite people as Viewers or Collaborators.
- Write a short message and click the Send button.
You can make your documents open to the world by Publishing it.
- Just click the Publish button at the top-right side of the screen.
- Just click File Menu and choose Print.
However, you can also print the document in Adobe Reader. To do this:
- From the File menu, click the Save as PDF item
- Click OK, when you face a dialog box.
- Then, you can print your document in Adobe Reader.
- From the File menu, click Copy Document item.
- Click OK, when you face the confirmation dialog box.
Chatting with other users
- You should use discussion button
- To watch related videos and learn more about how to chat with other users click here.