Please use this page to complete the assignment for week 1. You can find the assignment on blackboard, but I will also post it for you below:
Begin research on your assigned application (actually get used to using it)
- Based on the assessment guide for this INSITE project, you must make a minimum of 3 posts on your wiki research page before March 31st. Each of your posts must include background research and references to web and/or other sources that discuss the use of your team's specific Web 2.0 application. This assignment helps to generate the needed background references and information from which you will build your wiki chapter. This assignment is worth 6 points toward your final 70 points for project II. This is an individual assignment -- each team member needs to make a minimum of 3 posts with individual reference contributions.
Make sure you include your name before your research posts, so the TA knows which 3 posts are yours. Also, make sure all of your information is CITED. This will make it much easier when we go back to cite our references in the end.
1. Bubbl.us is a free brainstorming web tool that allows you to create your own mind maps online, save them, share them with friends, and even embed them on your own blog, in projects, or elsewhere online.
2. According to Ben Davis, an 11th grade English teacher, this web 2.0 technology allowed his students to "get their daily fix of networking" while also organizing their thoughts for their research papers. He was able to create an account for himself, and the students not only networked with him, but with their other classmates. Davis also said he was able to grade the students mind maps online and from the comfort of his own home!
3. These mind maps created through Bubbl.us can be printed out as they appear online, or they can be printed as html, which will print in an outline form.
4. The creators of Bubbl.us are Kirill Edelman from Russia, and Levon Amelyan from Kazachstan. Both of these creators have Computer Science Degrees.
1. Bubbl.us is powered by Flash, and makes it easy for anyone to quickly start planning and sorting out their ideas through the use of linked text bubbles.
2. Bubbl.us is used in many different ways. It can be used in brainstorming ideas for business, in creating or building up on a family tree, in creating flow charts, in creating lists (i.e. Christmas lists, shopping lists, etc.), or to come up with money-making ideas.
3. Here is a video that shows what some elementary school students and their teacher thought about using Bubbl.us in the classroom. In the video, they compare Bubbl.us with a similar program called Inspiration and talk about how Bubbl.us is the better application.
1. Both of the creators have personal websites. Kirill Edelman's website is gogoat.com, but it is soon to be demolished. Levon Amelyan's is 25hourday.com. I went on Levon's website and it is basically an information page informing people the skills they need to have to design a webpage.
2. Bubbl.us and Inspiration Software, Inc. are closely related. They are both considered a "mind map" and help outline your ideas. However, Bubbl.us is free and lets you post your design on your webpage or blog and share your creations with friends.
1. Bubbl.us allows creates the information as it would as an outline. This site shows the hierarchy of the information that you have written down. This is a great tool to have because it allows you to visually see how things are being sorted, which makes it easier to later turn your ideas into a paper, if that is your intent.
2. bubbl.us can be very helpful in sharing your ideas with others. You can save your mind mapping in many different files, which allows others to add on to your ideas. You can also make your mind mapping with as many ideas that you would like.
3. bubbl.us has many goals for the future. They hope to have it be allowed to be shared with anyone, and they also hope to maybe have different shapes for the bubbles. They also want it to auto-save every few minutes. These applications will help to save work if something happens with your computer, and it can become a little more interesting as well!
1. Steven Aitchison made a website about other uses for bubbl.us he said, "This is another extremely useful way to use Bubbl.us. You have seen flow charts in technical books and software manuals, and they are great visual representations for training employees to use software, follow business processes, or anywhere a yes/no situation might occur. And when processes or policies change, they can be esily updated from any computer."
2. Steven Aitchison also said, "I am always on the lookout for new ways to make money (legally, of course) but I find that ideas pop into my head at the most awkward times. Now, whenever I have one of these ideas I write it down in the notebook I carry around and transfer it as quickly as possible to my Bubbl.us account. When I look at the Bubbl.us account under the 'money making ideas' file I brainstorm how I could make money from any particular idea. Then I either reject it and delete or keep it saved on the file. This has helped me tremendously in my online money making activities as I have carried out a lot of research
after brainstorming and this allows me to reject or keep an idea. It also helps my conscious mind to stop rejecting ideas immediately, which tends to happen with many people. You know what I mean: you think you have a great idea and you say 'yeah that could work' and get all excited and then 2 minutes later your conscious mind rejects it and you forget all about it. Now every idea is a viable option and your conscious mind has been bypassed, to a degree, allowing your unconscious mind to work on the idea."
3. MindMeister and bubbl.us are very closely related. MindMeister is more "feature-complete," however, bubbl.us is said to be prettier and more fun to use. Bubbl.us also has an endless amount of undo options. In addition, bubbl.us also allows the public to use and create a map without signing up for an account. However, signing up for an account is free and easy. One of the main reasons for the competition is that MindMeister will allow one to import mind maps from other applications.
1. i have found some information about how to use bubbl.us in the classroom. the first thing that i found was basic information about the website that explained what it could be used for and who could use it. this website suggested that it only be used in classrooms grade 5 and above.
2. another website i looked in, it was an open blog about this website. a professor had written about it and then had others to comment on the blog. something that i found to be useful was a comment from another college student who talked about the advantages of using this website with group projects and creating lesson plans.
3. another website i found had to do with using bubbl.us with your business. it was strongly suggested to be used when beginning to plan out future projects, summarizing various plans, and for setting goals. it also gave a great description about how to use some of the tools on bubbl.us.
1. Some uses for teachers to use bubbl.us are planning, handouts and presentations, assessment, and summerize information. Students can use bubbl.us for essay planning and writing, research and not taking, revision, analysing findings and events, and present concepts and diagrams. This website gives good examples of reasons why bubbl.us is a good web 2.0 technology that can be used in the classroom.
2. This website has different people comparing bubbl.us to different types of technologies that they have used before. All of the people stated that bubbl.us was the easiest technology that they have used. But each person did make a suggestion for another program to use that is similar to bubbl.us but is slightly harder to use.
3. This website has some testimonials about how some teachers at different grade levels had great experiences with bubbl.us in their classrooms. One teacher even used bubbl.us for her masters assignment, so this technology is not only for elementary aged students. This technology can be used for all ages.
1. When using bubbl.us you start off with a parent bubble and then add new bubbles from there.
2. Saving and loading is simple and fast. The navigation found on the right of the website is neatly made and holds all your current projects. Multiple brainstorming projects can be saved to folders in the side bar and loaded again at any time.
3. A printing function has also been implemented so that your newly mapped out ideas can be printed out whenever you wish.